Monday, January 31, 2011

Mission Statement

Hello, fellow nail polish enthusiasts! My name is Colleen, and this is what will soon become my own little blog about nail polish. I wanted to start out by telling you all a little bit about myself, and why I am here and doing this.

First off, the very basics: I'm 25 years old and a (VERY) full-time college student in Texas. I'm on campus from about 9am every morning until about 5-5:30 every evening. Then I come home and do homework. For those who are curious, I'm majoring in Anthropology with a minor in Linguistics. Every weekend, I stay with my boyfriend at his apartment. He lives about an hour away from me, so those are the only times we really get to spend much time together.

As far as nail polish goes, if you had told me even a month ago that I would be starting a blog about this, I'd have laughed in your face. I've never been very into the more girly things like hair and makeup and nails, and the last time I owned more than two bottles of polish at one time, I was in the 7th grade and only painted my nails at sleep-overs.

Recently, though, I've been getting more interested in delving into my more feminine side, and started doing makeup now and then, wearing dresses and heels when I go out somewhere special, and sometimes I do more with my hair than tie it up into a quick ponytail.

Then, my sister-in-law started her blog, Dancing Phalanges, and I started buying polishes for her. The more I got for her, the more I was hooked.

I've built up quite a starter collection for myself, so we've got a lot of posts coming, but they will be fairly far between. Because of my daily schedule, I don't have much time for painting my nails and removing the polish on a regular basis. Mostly, I just do my nails and leave it be until it is all kinds of chipped off. This does have its benefits, though!

Since I will be going with my usual polish routine of letting it live its natural life on my nails (lol), I will make a point of letting you all know in each post how long the polish lasted before it started chipping. If it doesn't look too bad, I might do one hand with top coat and one hand without, to compare the life expectancy of each.

Other things you can expect from each of my posts:

- A note of where I bought the polish and/or how much it cost (if I remember; some of these, I may not). Hopefully this will be useful to others for reference if they would like to keep a lookout for that polish, or would like to compare prices between other places they have seen it for sale.

- Once I have posted, a clickable swatch will appear next to the polish's name on my Collections page; the link will take you directly to that particular polish's review in the blog archives.

If you read through all of this, you are awesome! I hope you will enjoy reading Felix Phalanx (which, since some of you may be wondering, essentially means "Happy Finger") as much as I know I will enjoy posting for you! If you have any questions or comments, of course feel free to leave a comment on an individual post or to send me an email at felix.phalanx @ gmail.com.




7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of nail blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy I was happy to read that you are majoring in Anthropology! I just began studying anthropology this fall and I love it :D Since you are combining Anthro and Linguistic is it then something down the structuralism aka Levi-Strauss you are concentrating upon? Or is it something different.. I know the US Anthropology is a bit different from the Euro anthro..

    Sorry for the blabbering, I just get so excited when I 'meet' other anthropologist, as no one in this country knows what it is.. (well some do, but then it's because they study it themselves)

    I'm looking forward to reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Penny and Karen!

    @Swaafie (sorry I never could figure out how to make accents appear, lol): I'm not really sure if I'll end up combining them too much in that way; I hadn't really given much thought to it, honestly! I took my first linguistics class last Spring, and fell in love with it, and I've always been generally interested in language and languages, so I decided to study it more and see if I want to do anything with it. :)

    With anthropology, I'm more and more into the possibility of studying kinship, heritage, and cultural/personal identity. Sort of how all of that connects - I like geneaology, so maybe I can go with that somehow. Linguistics could tie into that as well. Happy to hear from another anthropologist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's allright, it's a Danish letter, so you probably can't.. haha..

    I think linguistic is interesting too :) But I'm so early in my studies that I haven't really been introduced to all the possibilities yet!
    I've heard that in US you get to learn physical anthro and biology [?] anthro too, is that right? We only learn the social and cultural kind..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! You're required on the degree plan at my school to take Biological Anthropology, and also one extra course for a separate Bio Anth credit. Biological Anthropology and Physical Anthropology are the same thing, it's just newer to call it BioAnth. :)

    I'm actually taking BioAnth this term! I'm planning to take Human Osteology (study of the human skeleton/bones) for my separate bio credit.

    We take archaeology, too, but they told us that in Europe, archaeology isn't part of the anthro department - is that true for your school? They said it was usually in the history or classical studies departments in most schools outside the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's kind of nice, that way you get to now a lot of different things!

    Osteology is cool, I've learned about it in the serie Bones! haha..

    Archaeology is a total different education in Europe, so it's not a part of the anthro department (I think it's in history, but I'm not sure), neither is BioAnth..

    Anthro is a part of Social Science here at my school.. .. And we only study social/cultural anthropology.. Like genealogy.. We haven't learned about all the subdivisions yet but there's also political anthro, medical anthro, psykological anthro etc..

    ReplyDelete